FJ are synonymous with beautiful, unique and colourful gemstones, but what about coloured diamonds? Diamonds come in a rainbow of colours and with the recent Pink Star Diamond, of 59.60cts, fetching $71.2 million at auction recently, here is the first of our three blogs on the mystery of these incredible and historic diamonds.
This diamond’s early history is unknown, however, The Dresden Green Diamond does have a historical record in 1722 when it was featured in a London newspaper in its 25th to 27th October edition. It is thought to originate from the Kollur Mine, in the state of Andhra Pradesh in India. Friedrich Augustus II (1733-1763) was the first Royal owner, the diamond was purchased from a Dutch merchant,named Delles, for 400,000 thaler at the Leipzig Fair in 1741.
The Dresden Green is a rare Type IIa beautiful natural green with a clarity of VS1 and a weight of 41cts. It was designed and set as an ornate and valuable hat ornament and is still kept in the vaults in Dresden, Germany.
Known as the World’s largest Fancy Vivid Orange diamond, with a weight of 5.54cts, it was the first orange diamond seen at auction in 1997. It was purchased by Harry Winston for £1,322,500 and named the ‘Pumpkin Diamond, as it was purchased in October that year.
The diamond’s other claim to fame was when the actress, Halle Berry, wore it to the Oscars where she won Best Actress in 2002. It was then sold by Ron Winston in 2005 to a US buyer but there the trail goes cold, it may have been sold on again.
The Tiffany Yellow Diamond is one of the largest fancy yellow diamonds ever discovered. The rough weighed 287.42cts when it was discovered in 1878 at the Kimberley mine in South Africa. It was purchased by the New York jeweller, Charles Tiffany.
His gemmologist at the time, George Frederick Kunz, studied the diamond for a year before have it finally cut in Paris. It was fashioned into a cushion cut with a final weight of 128.54cts and a total of 90 facets – 32 more than a traditional round brilliant cut diamond – to maximise its brilliance and colour.
In 1879 the Tiffany store in Paris received the diamond and it now resides in The Louvre. However, in 1961 it did have an outing as Audrey Hepburn wore it for publicity shots for the film Breakfast at Tiffany’s.